- 4 cup Oregon blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 small apple (any variety), diced very finely
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup Minute Tapioca
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a large saucepan, combine sugar, tapioca, salt, cinnamon, allspice and lemon juice.
- Add diced apple and 1 cup of the berries to the pan. Toss to coat. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, cook berries over medium heat until berries burst and mixture comes to a constant gentle boil.
- Remove from heat. Gently add remaining 3 cups of berries.
- Set aside and make pie crust and flourishes.
|Butter pie crust
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6-8 T water, very cold
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in food processor. Pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea-sized pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture begins to clump together.
- Remove dough from machine and place on a clean surface. Press the dough into 2 equal size flat discs. Sprinkle a little flour on discs and refrigerate in plastic wrap at least 1 hour.
- Remove discs from refrigerator and let rest 5-10 minutes. Roll out one disc with a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle. fold dough in half to lift and place in pie tin. Trim bottom crust even with pie tin edge.
- Add filling to pie.
- Using same directions, roll out the top crust layer. Cut the dough in a circle ½ inch larger than the pie tin edge and place on top of pie. Fold top crust over bottom crust, pressing edges together and crimping outside the crust.
|Pie crust toppings
- 2 T sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, beaten
- For the flourishes, cut from top crust the shape of 3 blackberry leaves and roll small berries and stems from excess pie crust.
- Arrange on top of pie. Brush top of pie with beaten eggs and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 400 for 46-48 minutes.