Sponsored by the Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
AmeriCraft Center, Dairy Farmers of Oregon Demonstration Stage
Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem, Oregon
Admired for their unique and complex flavor profile, Oregon raspberries and blackberries have an essence that captures the warmth of a summer day in the great Northwest. Their vibrant purple and red colors pack a powerful nutritional punch that catapults Oregon berries to the top of the antioxidant charts. Oregon berries present an explosion of flavor and well-being that is larger than life!
The pie contest will be held August 28, 2012 starting at 2:00 pm at the AmeriCraft Center, on the Dairy Farmers of Oregon Demonstration Stage at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem, Oregon. Three-time first place winner Arlene Thorp will be one of the judges this year. It’s time for a new baker to shine! All contestants will be given a free Oregon Berry goodie bag filled with coupons and berry related items by simply entering their pie. Pies must be received at the Dairy Farmers of Oregon Stage by 1:30pm.
- Open to any individual who is an Oregon resident; one entry per person. All ages may enter but there will be no junior division.
- Entered pie must include at least 60% Oregon berries in the filling. It does not have to be a “traditional” two crust berry pie.
- A receipt for the purchase of fresh, frozen, or canned Oregon blackberries (including but not limited to Kotata, Chester, Slyvan, Black Diamond) and Marionberries may be used and must accompany the entered pie.
- Wild blackberries are not valid varieties as this is a contest to promote Oregon cultivated blackberries. Home grown cultivated blackberries must be identified by variety and as home grown.
- The entire pie must be submited for judging in a disposable aluminum pie pan.
- Recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submited with the entry. It must be typed or printed on one side of an 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper and must list all ingredients, quantities, and preparation instructions. Name, address, phone number, and email must be included on the back side of all pages.
- All recipes submited will become the property of the Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission and may be used as part of their public relations efforts in promoting Oregon berries.
- Refrigeration is not available at the fair; please provide your own cooler for pies needing refrigeration.
- Judges decision is final.
- Flavor: 30 points
- Filling (consistency, doneness, moistness, & flavor): 25 points
- Crust (color, flavor, texture, done? ness): 20 points
- Overall appearance: 15 points
- Creativity: 10 points.
- 1st Place Winner will receive $100 cash and a Berry Gift Basket worth $100 from Columbia Empire Farms/Your NW
- 2nd Place Winner will receive $50 cash and a Berry Gift Basket worth $75 from Columbia Empire Farms/Your NW
- 3rd Place Winner will receive $25 cash and a Berry Gift Basket worth $50 from Columbia Empire Farms/Your NW
- Drawings for audience door prizes will be held