Heart-healthy oats team up with antioxidant-rich blackberries in this fresh twist on a muffin. Enjoy a couple warm fresh out of the oven, and freeze the rest to pop out whenever you feel like a fast homemade treat.
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 30-35 minutes. Total time: 55 minutes.
- 2 ¾ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk or nondairy milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange, optional
- 1 ½ cups frozen blackberries
|Baked Oatmeal Steps
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly oil a regular 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in milk, eggs, honey, butter, and zest. Fold in berries.
- Divide oat mixture between muffin cups (they will be full to the brim), and bake until the tops are firm to the touch, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of each one and remove to a cooling rack. Once cool, place in a resealable bag and refrigerate or freeze. To reheat, microwave in 30-second bursts until warm.