|Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups (10 oz) frozen blackberries thawed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 heaping T fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp of salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- A few shakes of crushed red chile peppers (to taste)
- 8 Chicken drumsticks or bone in thighs
|Sauce and Grilling Steps
- Combine the blackberries and chicken stock in medium-sized sauce pan, stir and bring to a boil.
- Stir and lower the heat to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, gently crushing the berries with the back of a wooden spoon and stirring to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Press through a mesh sieve or food mill to remove seeds from mix.
- Return sauce to the pot, add remaining ingredients simmer until sauce is thick and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Grill chicken pieces until nearly done.
- Divide BBQ sauce in half; use one half to brush chicken with BBQ sauce several times near the end of cooking.
- Reserve other half of BBQ sauce to serve with chicken at the table.