- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp pure lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper and spray again on top of paper.In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and ginger.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, followed by lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Continue mixing until smooth. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture.
- Mix just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake cakes 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges with a knife and remove from pans and gently remove parchment paper; continue cooling, until cakes are completely cool.
|Blackberry Curd Filling
- 16 oz frozen Marionberries or blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 T fresh lemon juice
- 4 T (½ stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 T black raspberry or blackberry liqueur
- In a medium saucepan, stir together frozen berries, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, butter and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and beginning to bubble around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Strain blackberry curd into medium bowl; pressing on solids in strainer.
- When strained, mix in liqueur. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours and up to one day.
- 2 8-oz packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar (about 1½ lbs)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a mixer on medium speed and blend until smooth.
- 1 pint basket fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh, unsprayed rose petals
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers.
- Place 1 layer cut side down, on platter.
- Spread 1/3 of blackberry filling over.
- Repeat with 2 more cake layers and filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread icing on cake swirling to make elegant cake presentation.
- Top with fresh blackberries and rose petals.