What do the tropics and Oregon have in common? Combine nutritious berries and coconuts for this elegant dinner dessert.
Serves 12 to 15
Prep time: 1 hour. Total time: 7 hours.
- 4 cups Puffins Honey Rice Cereal or other whole grain cereal of choice
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 stick (8 T) butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pulse cereal and almonds in the work bowl of a food processor until fine crumbs form.
- Melt butter and pour into bowl of food processor.
- Pulse until mixture just begins to stick together.
- Pat mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- 3 8-oz packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup coconut cream (such as Coco Lopez)
- 2 T coconut flavored rum
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Whip together cream cheese, coconut cream, rum, lime juice and coconut extract until smooth and creamy.
- Spread gently onto the cooled crust.
- Top cream layer with coconut.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, until firm to the touch.
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 8 Cups frozen Marionberries or other blackberries, divided
- ¼ Cup sugar
- 3 T cornstarch
- Heat frozen berries and sugar together on medium/low in a saucepan until berries are soft and release juices.
- Take 4 tablespoons hot berries from pan and mix into cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Stir until blended. Add cornstarch mix back into pan and stir constantly until thickened, this will happen quickly.
- Remove pan from heat and cool completely.
- While berry mixture cools, defrost remaining 4 cups of Marionberries by placing them on several layers of paper toweling and then blotting top of berries to remove excess juice.
- When mixture is cooled, stir in defrosted Marionberries carefully to help berries keep shape.
- Spread berries evenly on top of cream layer and return to refrigerator.
- Chill for 4-6 hours.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 T lime zest in long strands
- Put cream in a large bowl along with sugar and vanilla.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish each serving with whipped cream and lime zest, if desired.