- 2 cups (25 squares) graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Triple Sec
- Grease sides of 10-inch springform pan with shortening or cooking spray. Recipe may be made in pie plate, if desired. If pie plate is used, omit greasing of pan, and wax strips.
- Cut strips of wax paper about 2 inches wide and totaling 31 inches long.
- Place strip(s) on inside edge of pan, forming a protective shield for side crust.
- In small bowl, stir together cracker crumbs and sugar.
- Add Triple Sec to melted butter and pour over crumb mixture, using fork to thoroughly combine.
- Pat crust onto bottom and sides of pan, forming a fairly even 1 3/4 inch side crust.
- Set aside.
- 1½ cups frozen raspberries or blackberries, thawed
- ¼ cup raspberry or blackberry jam, seedless
- ¼ cup Triple Sec
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
|Berry Filling Steps
- Puree thawed berries in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve into small saucepan.
- Add Triple Sec, sugar, jam and cornstarch.
- After cornstarch has dissolved, cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and begins to boil.
- Continue stirring while mixture boils slowly for one minute.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 1 packet (¼ oz) unflavored gelatin
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice, strained (approximately 2 medium limes)
- 1 tsp very finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 4 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons (5 oz.) pasteurized egg substitute
- 2 cups light whipped topping or 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
|Lime Filling Steps
- Squeeze limes and strain juice through fine sieve.
- Sprinkle gelatin over lime juice and allow to stand 2 minutes.
- Heat in small saucepan over low heat, stirring until completely dissolved. (Or microwave on HIGH [full power] 40 seconds; stir thoroughly, then allow to stand 2 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved.)
- Stir in 1/3 cup of the sugar, lime zest and food coloring.
- Set aside.
- In separate small bowl, beat egg substitute on low speed for about 30 seconds until eggs begin to foam.
- Gradually sprinkle in remaining 2/3 cup sugar, a few teaspoons at a time, increasing mixer speed to medium as mixture thickens.
- Beat 4-5 minutes in all, until eggs are very thick and soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped topping into egg mixture and set aside.
- At this point, microwave lime/gelatin for 20 -30 seconds to warm and liquefy.
- Fold about 3/4 cup of whipped egg mixture into lime/gelatin to lighten, then fold lime/gelatin back into egg mixture.
- Spoon half the lime filling into graham cracker crust, making edges slightly higher than center of pie.
- Reserve about 1/4 cup berry filling for pie surface and pour remaining berry filling into center, leaving 1-inch border of lime filling around outer edge.
- Top with remaining lime filling and smooth with metal spatula or similar tool.
- Drop spoonfuls of reserved berry filling on to pie surface.
- Using sweeping circular motions with the tip of a clean toothpick, chopstick or barbecue skewer, create a beautiful swirling effect.
- Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours until set. Best if served same day.
- Garnish with fresh lime wheels and berries, if desired.