This classic dessert is enhanced by the use of raspberries and blackberries, as well as the unique process of piping on the traditional diamond-shaped pastry top.
Serves 10 to 12
Cook time: 40 minutes.
- 10 oz sweetened frozen raspberries, thawed: do not drain. Or use one 16.5 oz can raspberries.
- 1½ cups whole frozen marion blackberries, thawed: do not drain. Or use one 16.5 oz can of Marionberries.
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon water
- For frozen berries: Mix all filling ingredients in saucepan and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring gently until thickened.
- For canned berries: drain, reserving 3/4 cup juice, and omit the additional 1 Tablespoon water in recipe. Combine all filling ingredients in saucepan except berries, and heat until thickened. Add berries at this point and set aside to cool.
- Set aside to cool.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ sticks (6 oz) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all dry ingredients, lemon and orange peel together.
- Using pastry blender, cut in butter very finely until mixture has the consistency of coarse sand.
- Beat egg & yolk together.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients, pouring in the beaten egg and blending with fork, until all dry ingredients are moistened: 2 to 3 minutes. It will be very soft.
- Cooks Note: The food processor method (i.e. cutting hard butter into flour mixture) is not recommended here, as it is essential to use softened butter to have a soft dough, in order to pipe through pastry tube.
- Press half the dough in the bottom of a 9″ tart pan with removable bottom, or 9″ springform pan.
- Spread filling over dough.
- Using a pastry tube fitted with a 3/8″ plain or ridged tip** pipe diagonal lattice over filling.
- Pipe a continuous border of large dots around outer edge where lattice intersects.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool tart completely before attempting to unmold.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
366 calories per serving: 4g Protein; 19g Fat; 48g Carbohydrate; 2mg Vitamin C; 58mg Calcium; 166mg Sodium; 66mg Cholesterol; 3g Fiber