- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups milk
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 16 muffin cups with paper cupcake
Liners and spray the the insides with nonstick spray to
help the cupcakes release. Set aside.
- Place the apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and fill with milk to equal 1½ cups. Stir well and set aside (the milk will curdle).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the milk
mixture, canola oil, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth, using a handheld mixer, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter. (An ice cream scoop with a lever works great to fill cups).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cupcake springs back when touched or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Cool five minutes on a wire rack in the pan and then remove cupcakes from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely.
|Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup good quality smooth peanut butter
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Beat the butter, peanut butter and cream cheese with a hand or standing
mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the confectioners sugar and continue to mix until the frosting is smooth, mix in the cream and continue to mix until it reaches a good spreading consistency.
- 1 cup Marionberry or blackberry jam
- With a sharp paring knife, cut a cone-shaped piece from the top of each
cupcake, so there is a hole in the cupcake. Cut the cone portion off leaving
only a top cap.
- Spoon approximately one tablespoon of jam into each cupcake. Replace top.
- Frost with peanut butter frosting, using a large (5/8″ opening) star tip and
a pastry bag. Swirl tops.
- Place one fresh blackberry on each cupcake. (Optional)