Italy meets Oregon on a cake platter! Italian cream cheese and Oregon blackberry compote-topped Polenta Cake creates an elegant dessert.
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 325° F. and butter and flour a 10 inch round springform cake pan.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise.
- Scrape seeds from pod and add to butter mixture.
- Beat in whole eggs and egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and fold in flour and cornmeal.
- Pour batter into pan and bake cake in middle of oven 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Invert cake onto a rack and cool completely. Transfer cake to a large platter.
- 3½ cups blackberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- ¼ cup blackberry brandy or grappa
- In a saucepan cook blackberries, granulated sugar, and Blackberry brandy over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour compote over cake.
- Let pudding stand, loosely covered, at room temperature at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup blackberries
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat mascarpone until light and fluffy.
- Add cream and granulated sugar and beat mixture until it holds soft peaks.
- Garnish pudding with blackberries and serve with mascarpone cream.