Turn your berry patch into a sophisticated cobbler with a hint of spicy ginger and a flaky, rich pastry. This cobbler will triple the flavor of your next summer-time dessert!
Prep time: 45 minutes. Cook time: about 1 hour. Total time: 2 hours.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 6 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl.
- Add berries and lemon juice; toss to blend.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Dot with butter.
- Bake until mixture begins to bubble, about 30 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystalli class=”recipeIngredient”zed ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, powdered ginger and grated fresh ginger, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon peel and salt in medium bowl.
- Using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal or process in the bowl of a food processor for 30 seconds.
- Add cream; stir until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead gently until smooth, about 6 turns.
- Roll out to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Using 2-inch shaped cookie cutter or round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Re-roll dough scraps; cut out additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits atop hot fruit, spacing closely.
- Mix 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over biscuits.
- Bake cobbler until fruit is tender and biscuits are golden, about 25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.