Start a perfect weekend by baking these fragrant, sweet, and flaky scones filled with Oregon berries.
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 15-18 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried lavender flowers
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lavender, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture is crumbly.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture until clumpy but not fully mixed. Gently fold in berries until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a circle, about 1” thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.