Makes about 30 small cookies
Prep time: __. Cook time: 20 minutes. Total time: __.
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 t. orange or lemon zest
- 1⁄4 t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 t. almond extract
- 2 cups almond flour (finely ground, Bob’s Red Mill is a good choice) or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup blackberry jam
- If you are using the almond flour, use an electric mixer and blend the butter, sugar, zest, salt and extracts together with the paddle attachment. Add in the almond flour and mix until just blended.
- If you are using the slivered almonds, put them in the bowl of a food processor along with the powdered sugar and process until finely ground. The sugar helps to keep the almonds from turning into butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and process to blend.
- Turn dough out onto a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into 1 inch wide logs. (If using the almond flour you will have 2 logs, and 3 logs if using the slivered almonds.)
- With your fingers, flatten each log into a 2 inch wide strip of dough.
- Run a strip of jam down the center lengthwise.
- Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes or until the dough is barely browned on the edges.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- 1 t. milk or water
- Mix icing ingredients together and with a teaspoon.
- Drizzle crosswise down the length of dough while dough is still warm.
- Let cool.
- Cut diagonally into 1 inch wide cookies.